People are going through this COVID 19 situation which is entirely unprecedented. Everybody seems to be confused as to how to deal with the adverse effect of this pandemic. Not only health enthusiasts but people of all age groups are trying to figure out a solution by reading various social media posts, watching YouTube videos, and scrolling through various WhatsApp messages, etc. The vaccine is the ultimate hope but it will take time and till then we need to strengthen our immune system to fight the deadly virus.
The sudden outbreak of this COVID-19 has a lot of negative impacts on the health and well-being of the people. The unfamiliar norm of social distancing and the constant demise of people have a lot to do with mental stress and anxiety. Irregular sleep, unhealthy food habit, etc. are not only increasing irritability, pessimism, worthlessness but also influencing weight gain, hairfall and insomnia. Overall, it is affecting the natural immune system of the body. According to Ayurveda, there are three types of food, including Raajsic food, Tamasic food, and Saatvic food.
In this article, we will talk about all those food with a special focus on all these types of food, especially Saatvic food list. So, keep on reading to know further!
What are Raajsic foods?
Foods which are very hot and spicy, bitter, salty or dry are considered as Raajsic foods. Canned foods like fruits, vegetables and beans, fermented foods, bottled juices are also included in Raajsic foods. These foods work like stimulants and irritants, so every tempting food is supposed to be Raajsic foods.
What foods are included in the Raajsic food list?
- Different fish and meat like salmon, trout, sole, chicken, lamb, eggs etc.
- Sharp spices like salt, ginger, garlic, onion, black pepper etc.
- Stimulants such as tea, coffee, cold drinks, sugar, chocolate, etc.
What is the impact of Raajsic foods on health and mind?
- People having Raajsic qualities are usually aggressive, ambitious, competitive, self-centered, and full of pride.
- They always want to dominate others.
- These people are perfectionists, and so they always work hard to achieve prestige, power, and position.
- As they have a fear of failure, they become angry quickly. They are also jealous by nature and do not enjoy the moment of happiness.
- Some Raajsic people tend to get drained mentally in less time.
- These people do not have quality sleep, so they need to sleep for a minimum of 8 hours in a day.
What are Tamasic foods?
The leading quality of Tamasic foods is that they are not fresh, over-processed, and they can not be digested quickly. If foods are made unconsciously or half-heartedly, they will be considered as Tamasic foods. When a person prepares meals with anger and a negative attitude, it will be Tamasic food by nature.
What foods are included in the Tamasic food list?
- Deep-fried foods such as French fries, potato chips, preserved foods like pickle etc.
- Preserved meat including beef, veal, sausages, bacon, ham, hot dogs etc.
- Hard liquors like Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, Gin, Scotch and other alcoholic beverages.
- Overripe and underripe fruits and vegetables
- Fermented foods like cakes, bread, vinegar etc.
What is the impact of Tamasic foods on health and mind?
- People who have Tamasic qualities suffer from depression and laziness, and they also have an excessive desire for food, drinks, and sex.
- Tamasic individuals tend to be materialistic, and they are greedy as well as possessive. Also, they are irritable and insensitive in nature.
- They do not have enough motivation to complete their tasks, so they have to put extra efforts.
- A considerable amount of sleep is required for them.
What is the Saatvic food list?
According to Ayurveda, Saatvic foods are full of Prana (life force). The Saatvic food list includes all vegetarian foods like fresh vegetables and fruits which have grown naturally without any chemicals or sprays. Processed, fermented, or canned foods are not qualified to be in the Saatvic food list. Fresh foods made with pure love and care are considered as Sattvic foods.
What foods are included in the Saatvic food list?
- Fresh fruits like Apple, banana, lychee, pomegranate, mango, watermelon, grapes, papaya, guava, pears, oranges, etc.
- Fresh vegetables like lettuce, eggplants, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, squash, sprouts, corns, turnips, carrots, spinach, lima beans, yam, etc.
- Whole grains including bulgur, millet, quinoa, basmati rice, brown rice, barley, etc.
- Oil such as sunflower, sesame, olive, moon, lentils and more
- Spices like asafoetida, cumin, fennel seed, cardamom, clove, turmeric, etc.
- Seed milk, nut milk, hemp milk, cheese, etc.
- Natural Sweeteners like jaggery, honey, fruit juice, etc.
What are the impacts of Saatvic foods on health and mind?
- People who are dominated by Saatvic qualities are full of positive thoughts and happiness. They are satisfied with what they have.
- Saatvic foods do not disturb the mind, so Saatvic individuals always remain peaceful, refreshed, and they are alert in nature.
- These people are full of life and do not get tired quickly.
- They are strong and live a longer life.
- Saatvic people have a good quality of hair and skin. Also, they live a healthy life happily.
Which one is the best among Raajsic, Tamasic, and Saatvic foods?
All of us have three qualities (Gunas) but not in the same proportion. All these qualities, including Raajsic, Tamasic, and Saatvic, are equally essential to survive properly. However, the foods included in the Saatvic food list are vital for this present pandemic situation. As they are not processed, fermented, or stale, they are very effective to boost up the immunity.
Besides, governments of several countries and health agencies like WHO, the British Dietetic Association, etc. are giving importance to have more fresh and raw vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, etc.
In Ayurveda, Saatvic foods are considered as the best as they are soothing for stomach, firm, and savory.
Ayurveda says that the base diet should be nothing except Saatvic. The foods that come under the Saatvic food list are very useful to keep mind calm. As the Saatvic diet is all about fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. it will keep us strong and healthy in this problematic situation. Some Raajsic foods and Tamasic foods are also useful for stability. However, it is better to keep in mind that excessive Saatvic foods can turn into tamasic foods which will cause several problems in body and mind as well. So it is important to keep balance in each and every aspect.