Let me ask what kind of a traveler you are? Mountain or Beach person?
Many will say either of the choices and some will say both. So, let me reiterate that the Konkan beaches are best for all kinds of travelers due to its beautiful diversity. It lies between the majestic Western Ghats mountain range and the Arabian sea. Stretching from Daman & Diu in the north up to Karwar region in the south, this beautiful shoreline is majorly present in the states of Maharashtra and Goa.
Konkan coast is the destination and trademark for perfect beaches in India. From the world over many tourists are obsessed with taking a train ride from Mumbai to Goa as it gives the beautiful glimpse of this god gifted coastline. We suggest exploring the Konkan beaches by car and taking the necessary steps to this visit into a memorable getaway.
So, let’s look at the Top 10 Konkan beaches.
One of them being the Arambol beach on the Northside of Goa. Consider that between November to March is the best time to visit this place. This beach has a vibe for the hippie in you. The culture and aura are totally a no judgemental site and it’s not much recommended for conservatives.
Ways to reach
By Air: The nearest Airport to Arambol beach is Dabolim Airport which is 57 km away (a two-hour drive). You can rent vehicles or you can preplan schedules with a local guide/travels.
By Train: If you are traveling by train, then the nearest train station is Thivim (THVM) which is around 30 km away (1-hour drive). Madgaon Railway Station is 70 km away (around 2 hrs drive) and most of the trains from South India halt here.
By Road: By bus, it’s Kadamba bus stand at Panaji (1.5-hour drive) which links to the major cities in India. Even one can combine Arambol with beautiful Konkan beaches of Maharashtra (Sindhudurg and Malvan) as its closer to the interstate border.
Things to do
- It is a kind of heaven for shopaholic (every evening flea market at the beachside), foodies, fitness freaks, adventure junkies, bike riders, and even spiritual seekers.
- We can sing and dance like no one’s watching and many more that you could possibly think of. You could just make it happen on this beach.
- It has the best sunset view bundled with tranquil, clean, and safe surroundings.
- Unique stay option – Beach huts which are comparatively cheaper than other Goan beaches; around 500 to 800 rupees per night.
A must visit and a happening place if you ever land in Goa then bring out the ecstasy in you.
One of the most popular beaches in North Goa which is located at around 20 Km from North of Panjim. This beach is known as a fishing beach with many tourists from across the world who are literally trying to catch some big fishes. With its rejuvenating nightlife, Baga is a perfect destination with splendid scenic beauty and also a foodie’s paradise that provides mouth-watering Goan fish curry.
Ways to reach
By Air: The nearest airport to Baga beach is the Dabolim Airport which is approximately 40 km away (1.5 hrs drive).
By Train: The closest railway station to Baga Beach is Thivim which is 19 km away. Also one can opt for Karmali (27 km) or Vasco Da Gama (43 km).
By Road: From Panjim, the distance is around 20 km and there are multiple transport options like buses, taxis and even you can opt for a bike or car rentals.
Things to do
- Visit sun decks, shacks, spas, tattoo shops, and many more to experience a perfect Konkan beach holiday.
- Baga offers the opportunity to try Wind Surfing between January and March.
- Must-try food in BAGA Beach is Infanteria a place for having continental English breakfast and meals which is famous for its fluffy omelets, pastries, and other baked items. You can find scrumptious international as well as local Goan food at Brittos which is another iconic place known for its fresh seafood and pastries.
- Baga Beach has a variety of water sports which include parasailing, windsurfing, kite surfing, and Jet Ski.
- It is also famous for its rejuvenating nightlife bustling with beach shack parties.
One cannot miss the fun at Baga even if they have visited the nearby Calangute beach (only 3 km away). The vibe at Baga is infectious.
Located in Canacona of South Goa, Palolem Beach is one of the most breathtaking beaches in Goa. With a mile-long, it looks like a semi-circular beach. It is popular among travelers for dolphin cruises and fishing trips. It is a freshwater beach and the best time to visit is between November and March.
This place is known for its natural beauty and uncanny party vibes. The northern side of the beach is known to be a little bit safer, as the tides are somewhat calmer in this area. Therefore, if you are traveling with children, then it is recommended that you stay at this side of the beach.
Ways to reach
By Air: Goa International Airport is around 65 km (2 hrs drive), once reaching the airport you can hire either a cab or you can hire a self-driving car.
By Train: If you are willing to take a train then the nearest railway station is at Canacona but since it’s small very few trains halt here. Hence the best option is to get down at Madgaon (MAO) railway station which is around 40 mins drive away from Palolem.
By Bus: If you are willing to travel by bus from Panjim, it takes more than two hours, and you will have to change the bus twice to reach Canacona. From there, a public taxi will take you to the Palolem beach within five minutes.
Things to do
- When it comes to culinary delicacies, the vibrant fishing culture of Goa makes for some sensational seafood. Try some freshly caught fish brought in by the boats or taste the exceptional South Indian cuisine on the menus of most of the restaurants in Palolem.
- When it comes to water sports at this beach one can choose Paddling, Parasailing, Water scooter, Dolphin Sighting Trip, Kayaking, Banana Ride, and Windsurfing.
- Mostly soft sand, warm sea, good facilities, and beachfront restaurants.
- Some excellent guest houses on or near the beachfront, ranging from Indian to western styles, some with music playing at reasonable volumes.
We have heard so many times that South Goa is more scenic and quieter. Palolem is the best proof of that statement and a sparkling gem of Konkan beach.
Ever got bored with the traffic and pollution of Mumbai? Planning to go for a long drive alone or with your gang for a weekend and resonate in peace?
Murud beach that is around a 3 to 4 hours journey from Mumbai is the perfect spot for what you want for a perfect weekend. The calmness of the beach, the soft black sand, the ancient look around the beach gives you immense peace and refreshes your mind for the upcoming busy routine of life.
Ways to reach
By Air: The nearest airport is Mumbai which is around 160 km (4 hrs drive). Also, there is Pune airport which is 185 km (4.5 hrs drive).
By Ferry: For those traveling via Mumbai then the best way is to board a ferry from Gateway of India for Mandwa Jetty. From there board a bus to Alibaug Bus stop and later take a rickshaw/local bus/van to reach Murud beach. This takes around 2 hrs in total. There is a ferry every 30 mins. The cost depends on the type of ferry, the basic ones charge around Rs. 120 per person. This cost also includes the bus fare from Mandwa to Alibaug.
By Train: If you are planning via railways, the nearest station is Roha which is around 35 km from the beach (1-hour drive).
By Road: If you prefer a self-drive vehicle, there is Mumbai Express or the Pune Mumbai Highway. There are rental services and public transport from Mumbai, Thane, Pune, and Navi Mumbai.
Things to do
- In the evening you can enjoy water sports like banana boat ride, water scooter, and parasailing.
- Murud beach is near Alibaug and surrounded by various must-visit sightseeing places like Janjira fort (situated on an island), Kashid beach, Revdanda fort & beach (famous for a weekend camping, partying) and Kolaba fort.
- For flora & fauna, one can surely visit the Phansad wildlife sanctuary which was created in 1986 to preserve the coastal woodland ecosystem of the Western Ghats. It is home to Indian Giant Squirrel, Hyena, Leopard, Sambar, and nearly 62 species of birds. It is only 11 km from Murud.
- Hotels and lodges are available for stay and since its a village area, you get to taste the delicious fish thali prepared by locals (inform them in advance).
- The crowds at the beach vary, sometimes you feel the beach to yourself sometimes it’s crowded.
The beautiful sunset view is combined with the mesmerizing sight of the Padmadurg sea fortress. A trip to this tropical sea paradise will be forever etched in your memories.
Tarkarli beach is one of the premier beaches, known as one of the best holiday destinations in the state of Maharashtra. This beach is known for its long silver sand with clean waters which offers a soothing experience to the visitors and famous for scuba diving experience.
This place is situated near the Sindhudurg district (Malvan taluk) and is 6km south of Malvan City. in Maharashtra. The major attraction of this beach is that the seabed can be seen up to a depth of 15 ft or more on a sunny day.
Ways to reach
By Air: The nearest airport is Dabolim Airport in Goa which is 132 km away (3.5 hrs drive) or else you can opt for Kolhapur airport but very few flights operate from Mumbai and Hyderabad. It is 170 km which is around 4.5 hrs drive).
By Train: The nearest railway station to this place is the Kudal railway station, which is about 45 km away. There are local rickshaws or else book a private vehicle in advance for the transfers.
By Road: Tarkarli is easily accessible by road as it is situated on the famous Mumbai Goa road (National Highway 66 – running parallel to Konkan coast from North to South). If one is opting to take a bus or by taking their own vehicle then the distance from Goa is 116 km, from Mumbai it is 576 km, and from Malvan city it is only 6 km.
Things to do
- Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Parasailing, Jet Ski ride, Speed boat ride and Dolphin spotting.
- Famous sea fortress – Sindhudurg is only 30 mins from Tarkarli and other places like Devbagh beach (Sangam point as Arabian sea meets Karli river), Malvan beach, Rock garden, Mahapurush temple (Lord Shiva), Kunkeshwar temple (known as Konkan Kashi – dedicated to Lord Shiva) and Chivla beach are easily accessible.
- One can even enjoy Houseboat stay at the silent backwaters of Karli river. Couples who want to spend quality time away from the hustle-bustle of the city can book this option.
- There are multiple local homestay and beachside resort options. Spicy Konkan style seafood can be relished through local lunch homes and restaurants in the vicinity.
- Must have is the popular and delicious Hafus Mangoes during the summer season. Cashew nuts, fruit orchids, and coconut trees are in abundance here.
The serenity of Tarkarli and surrounding areas will curate a beautiful seaside experience for you.
Image Courtesy – Wikipedia
Nestled in the greenery of Raigad district, this beach is said to be one of the peaceful, clean, and less populated. This black sand beach is a shallow and totally safe for swimming.
Ways to reach
By Air: Pune international airport is the nearest airport at a distance of 170 km (4.5 hrs drive). Also, the Mumbai airport is around 190 km (5 hrs drive)
By Rail: Mangaon is the nearest railway station which is at a distance of 50 km (1.5 hrs drive) from Diveagar beach.
By Road: During and after monsoons, the road is amazingly beautiful. From Pune, it is situated at a distance of 170km which takes about 4-5 hours to reach via Tamhini Ghat road, and from Mumbai, it is 190 km and takes around 6 hours. State transport buses from Swargate in Pune or Dadar in Mumbai are economical ways or else you can hire a self-drive car or private rental vehicle to reach this tropical paradise.
Things to do
- After spending some time near this beach, you can explore Suvarnaganesh temple (known for Ganesh idol covered in 24-carat gold, weighing 1.3 kg.), Sundernarayan temple (13th century Lord Vishnu shrine), Shrivardhan (famously known as Land of Peshwas and it has a beach), Harihareshwar Beach, Bankot Fort, Rupnarayan Temple, Murud Janjira and Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Fun Activities to do: This beach offers many water activities like parasailing (jeep towed), banana boat ride, bumper ride, jet ski, and motorboat ride.
- You can witness the locals indulging in beetle nuts farming, and even making souveniers out of coco coir (interior structure of a coconut).
- Unique stay options like on a small farm or homestays can give insights about the local culture. There are numerous resorts near the beach providing proper facilities.
The northern part of this beach has an allocated fishing area wherein a small stream could be seen. Diveagar is famous for its sand bubble crabs and Suru trees.
Ever dreamt of a beautiful sunset with clear skies most of the time? One of the cleanest beaches and known for a plastic-free environment, Guhagar beach is the one to choose from. Guhagar basically means “cave house” in the Marathi language. Located on the coastal line of Maharashtra (Ratnagiri District) this beach is safe to swim or to rest by the sand and holds a lot of significance for believers as it is home to 2 ancient Hindu temples.
Ways to reach
By Air: Kolhapur airport is the closest to Guhagar (215 km). Pune and Mumbai airports are 250 km and 270 km away respectively.
By Train: The nearest station is Chiplun (45 km). It is well connected from Mumbai, Pune, and Goa. From there, you can rent rickshaws or taxis to reach the beach.
By Road: Chiplun is well connected with major cities via National Highway 66 and many state-run buses as well as private buses halt here. From Chiplun, you can take local transport to reach Guhagar beach which is around a 1-hour drive. We suggest doing a road trip from our own or self-drive vehicle as it will be convenient for exploring nearby places.
By Ferry: To experience the sea route, catch a ferry from Dabhol (27 km from Dapoli) to Dhopave (15 km from Guhagar).
Things to do
- There are resorts, hotels available nearby to the beach, and very few by the beach (around 2-5 minutes’ walk). There are Veg restaurants available as well. Must-try dishes are Konkani dishes, Thalipeeth, Sol Kadi, seafood, and spicy chicken and mutton dishes.
- As soon as you reach the beach, it’s pretty much sure you can’t take your eyes away and just want to laze by the beach. Guhagar is known for its coir items, coconuts, betel nuts, palm trees, and mainly Haapus Alphonso mangoes.
- You don’t see vendors or stalls and you feel the beach to yourself. If you are spiritual, you will be feeling blissful visiting the ancient temples of Hedvi Ganesh and Velneshwar Shiva known for architecture built hundreds of years ago.
- There is also a fort named Gopalgad which is 13 km from the beach and nearby is a must-visit place called Anjanvel fishing village where they assemble the fish boats which is a fascinating sight and something to know about. Also there is a picturesque lighthouse in Anjanvel.
Your Insta & FB profile is waiting for breathtaking pictures/videos of the Guhagar’s beautiful landscape with coconut trees lined up and waves splashing on the clean shoreline.
A beach surrounded by lush green hills! Sounds great right? A serene beach town situated in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. Harihareshwar beach stretches over 15 kilometers surrounded by four hills i.e, Harihar, Harshinachal, Bramhadri, and Pushpadri hills.
Named after the famous Lord Harihareshwar temple which attracts numerous devotees to this peaceful yet picturesque destination.
How to reach?
By Air: The nearest airport is Pune which is nearly 180 km away. Another accessible airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (Mumbai) which is 200 km away (5 hrs drive).
By Train: If you are planning via railways, the nearest station Mangaon which is around 60 km from the beach (1.5 hours drive).
By Road: There are multiple buses and private cabs from Mumbai and Pune. Even one can extend their Alibaug or Murud Janjira holiday to include Harihareshwar in their itinerary as its nearby.
Things to do
- There are temples nearby you could visit amidst the dense trees and you might feel adventurous.
- You might witness cute turtles crawling and nestling back to sea at sunsets.
- If you are planning a two-day stay, other places you could cover are the Bankot Fort, Dapoli, Kalbhairav – Yogeshwari Temple, Srivardhan Beach, Ganesh Gully (a narrow lane which is 3 feet wide is nestled between 2 mountains and at the end of this lane there is a statue of Lord Ganesh), Bagmandala (a peaceful village, few kilometers from Harihareshwar), Somja Devi Temple, Victoria Fort and Panburduk (a historical landmark).
This beach is not recommended during high tides as it might be risky. Apart from that, you will have a lovely time enjoying the serenity. This place is free from the hustle of the city and offers you complete solitude and peace.
This beach has given Sindhudurg district a lot to celebrate – from beautiful blue lagoon to white stunning sand and even a beautiful view of Karli river’s estuary (the wide part of a river at the place where it joins the sea). It is situated between the famous coastal towns of Malvan and Vengurla. Maharashtra state tourism body decided to nominate Bhogwe for the prestigious Blue Flag nomination which speaks a lot about the beauty and ecological significance of this place.
Ways to reach
By Air: If you prefer air travel then Bhogwe beach is only 3 hrs drive from Goa International airport (120 km away). You can rent vehicles or pre-plan schedules with a local guide/travel operator.
By Train: If you are traveling by train, then the nearest station is Kudal (27 km away), and if by bus it’s Malvan or Kudal which is well connected by Maharashtra State transport buses.
By Road: We suggest taking a rental vehicle as after 7 in the evening it’s tough to find local transport. Even if you wish to cover nearby places then it becomes convenient to take your vehicle and explore wholeheartedly without any regrets. Nearest cities are Malvan, Kudal, and Vengurla which are well connected with metro cities via State Transport buses.
Things to do
- The major highlight is Houseboat stays at the silent backwaters of Karli river.
- There are multiple local homestay and beachside resorts (Samant Beach resort is the oldest and the most famous) option. Spicy Konkan style seafood or vegetarian dishes can be relished through ‘Khanaval’ (local lunch homes) in the vicinity.
- The best way to relax and rejuvenate is to spend maximum time in this eco-friendly environment. Bhogwe beach is indeed a hidden gem between the crowded beaches of Goa & Malvan areas.
- Tarkarli, Devbagh, Malvan, Killa Nivati beach, and many other nearby sightseeing places can be explored.
You will be glad to be lost in the mesmerizing beauty of Bhogwe and it’s certainly addictive!
Aare Ware Beach
An excellent beach tucked away in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. Aare Ware beach is between Ratnagiri town and the famous temple town of Ganpatipule. It’s a calm beach and you can feel the beach to yourself. You could see some food stalls, rejuvenating coconut water being sold for the travelers/devotees heading to Ganpatipule.
Aare Ware beach is a geological wonder wherein the beaches were formed due to the merging of the mountain into the ocean. Hence the twin beaches are the two sides of the same mountain.
Ways to reach
By Air: Kolhapur Airport (150 km away) is the nearest and the most accessible is the Goa International airport (270 km away).
By Train: Ratnagiri is the most accessible and closest railway station as all major trains halt here. From there one can rent private car or there are rickshaws/shared taxis which takes around 40 mins to reach Aare Ware beach.
By Road: Since the beach is near to the famous NH 66 which runs north to south parallel to the Western Coast of India. State transport and private buses are available from Mumbai/Pune/Kolhapur/Goa. We suggest taking a private rental vehicle so that you can explore nearby places without depending on the local transport which is generally available in the late evening.
Things to do
- Visiting nearby Ganpatipule beach and temple will be a spiritually enriching experience. The monolith idol of Lord Ganesha is believed to be self incarnated and discovered over 1600 years ago. The famous temple is 400 years old.
- To know the rich culture and heritage of Konkan area, do visit the Prachin Konkan open-air museum in Ganpatipule. It has depictions of early rural life, local deities, and trees that impacted the ecology of this god gifted area.
- You can also explore Ratnadurg fort, Shree Devi Bhagwati temple, Thiba point, and Bhatye beach.
- Aare Ware viewpoint located on top of the cliff provides excellent views of the Arabian sea. If you are lucky, few dolphins can be spotted early morning.
- There are a handful of resorts (Aare Ware Beach Resort and Ambadnya Paryatak Niwas) since its an en route destination and away from the hustle-bustle of the town.
The lush green vegetation and seaside rocks surrounding the pristine beach acts as a ‘cheery of the cake’ experience. If you are seeking quality leisure time and want to meditate to the peaceful sound of waves then the beautiful Aare Ware will not let your down.